On today’s show, I have Rob Corrall who is a DJ & CEO of Vox DJs located in Los Angeles, California.
I met Rob through a mutual friend where he DJed their wedding. My husband and I have been to over 30 weddings since we started dating in 2009 (yes, for real) so I’ve seen the spectrum of amazing DJs and ones that make you cringe. Rob was one of the best DJs I’ve seen and I knew I had to have him on the show!
Fun fact: I totally used to want to be a DJ. In high school, I was the go-to gal for making mean mix CD in my group of friends and always loved putting together playlists. Maybe one day I’ll live out my dream (or maybe I should keep my day job!).
We talk about what it’s like for him to be the CEO of Vox DJs as well as talk about a day in his life on a day when he has an event (it’s a long one, that’s for sure!)
Excited for you to tune in and hope you enjoy!
Rob Corrall | DJ & CEO of Vox DJs
In today’s episode, you’ll find out:
- How Rob got started in the DJing industry.
- One of his biggest struggles being a DJ.
- How he stays energized throughout an event.
- His favorite events to DJ at.
- Questions you should be asking while interviewing DJs for your wedding or other events.
- How he handles difficult brides, grooms, and other clients he works with.
- What it’s like working alongside his wife at VOX DJs.
- How he handles the exhausting hours of being a DJ as well as spending time with his wife and son.
- Advice he would give to aspiring DJs.
- Some of the craziest stories he’s experienced while DJing.
Rob was born and raised in England. While studying at the University of Manchester, he took a year to study abroad at UC Santa Barbara. During this year, he not only fell completely in love with California, but also fell in love with his wonderful wife Lara.
After graduating and spending a number of years traveling the world and living in different countries, Rob and Lara settled in Hermosa Beach California, and Rob begun DJing and working for VOX DJs. Fast forward 6 years, and Rob and Lara have a beautiful son, still love by the beach, and Rob is a partner at VOX DJs, while still DJing every weekend.
Key takeaways from this episode
I almost think he employed me to pick up his dry cleaning when that was my job at the start. - Rob Corrall Click To Tweet
“Music was always my thing, but I never DJed or done anything like it before I started working here.” – Rob Corrall
I never thought I'd be a wedding DJ. - Rob Corrall Click To Tweet
“I’m like addicted to my email, so I’m on my email before I go to bed, every moment, even as soon as I wake up.” – Rob Corrall
I pretty much only do the weddings just because they're more satisfying and rewarding. - Rob Corrall Click To Tweet
“It’s almost easier for us to teach someone from scratch how to DJ a wedding than if they’ve been doing it.” – Rob Corrall
“But as a business owner, I try to hire the right people and let them do their job.” – Rob Corrall
“The hardest thing is being able to completely go off the grid.” – Rob Corrall
Links to resources
Follow VOX DJs:
How to subscribe, review, and help the show
Like the show? There are several ways you can help!
- Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, or Google Play
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. The ratings and reviews help for two reasons: 1) Most importantly, I get to know you, the listener, and what content you enjoy the most. 2) The more reviews the podcast has, the better chance it has at getting in front of new listeners.
- Follow on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram
- Download the graphics below to save and share on social!
If you’re diggin’ the podcast, I’d love for you to use the #DITLpodcast hashtag to connect with other listeners and let us know what a day in your life is really like!
Want more? Sign up for the email newsletter!
Be the first to know when there is a new episode out and get the inside scoop on all of the guests.
Also, join the Facebook group to interact with guests and other listeners!
Thanks so much for tuning in. See ya next week!
Day in the Life podcast newsletter
Stay up-to-date on the Day in the Life podcast, plus access the free Facebook group!