Affiliate disclaimer: Heads up! There are affiliate links in these show notes. What that means is if you click on a link and then make a purchase, I make a small percentage of money because I referred you. This comes at no additional cost to you. I only share products and resources that I trust and that I know will help you in your business. Grateful for your support!
On today’s show, I have Rachel Wilkerson Miller who is a Senior Lifestyle Editor at BuzzFeed.
I’ve followed Rachel’s blog for years. I’m talkin’ at least 8 years, which is a long time in blog days. While her blog has changed over time (it used to be healthy living focused, now it mostly shares what she’s reading and writing), I’ve always loved following along her life.
I think I’m not alone when it comes to curiosity about what it’s like to work at BuzzFeed. Is it really as fun as it seems? Are the people actually cool or are they stuck up? How do they get work done while working in a chaotic environment?!
We chat about all of this more. Rachel shares how she got the job at BuzzFeed, advice she’d give to anyone who wants to work in journalism, the most challenging and rewarding aspects about working at BuzzFeed, where she finds inspiration on the stories she writers, and a heck of a lot more.
Excited for you to tune in and hope you enjoy!
Rachel Wilkerson Miller | Senior Lifestyle Editor at BuzzFeed
- How Rachel got started at BuzzFeed.
- Advice she would give to someone who wants to work in journalism or at BuzzFeed specifically.
- The most challenging aspects and proudest moments during her career at BuzzFeed.
- One thing that surprised her about working at BuzzFeed.
- Where she finds inspiration for the articles she writes and what she likes most about working at BuzzFeed.
- How the political climate has changed the content that’s shared on BuzzFeed.
Links to resources:
Key takeaways from this episode:
“I worked really hard to break that habit where I don’t check my phone until I’m physically out of the bed.” – Rachel Wilkerson Miller
“So many of the pitches we get come from people, it feels like it comes from people who don’t actually read BuzzFeed.” – Rachel Wilkerson Miller
“We don’t get a lot of our content from pitches. It’s very rare that a pitch lands”. – Rachel Wilkerson Miller
“Most of the things that I’m writing about come from real conversations that I’m having with friends.” – Rachel Wilkerson Miller
“I really like to be the first person to find something new.” – Rachel Wilkerson Miller
“When I get home, I make myself sit down and write in my journal for 10-20 minutes.” – Rachel Wilkerson Miller
How to subscribe, review, and help the show
Like the show? There are several ways you can help!
- Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify, or Google Play
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. The ratings and reviews help for two reasons: 1) Most importantly, I get to know you, the listener, and what content you enjoy the most. 2) The more reviews the podcast has, the better chance it has at getting in front of new listeners.
- Follow on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram
If you’re diggin’ the podcast, I’d love for you to use the #DITLpodcast hashtag to connect with other listeners and let us know what a day in your life is really like!
Want more? Sign up for the email newsletter!
Be the first to know when there is a new episode out and get the inside scoop on all of the guests.
Also, join the Facebook group to interact with guests and other listeners!
Thanks so much for tuning in. See ya next week!
Day in the Life podcast newsletter
Stay up-to-date on the Day in the Life podcast, plus access the free Facebook group!