On today’s show, I have Merritt Beck who is a Lifestyle & Fashion Blogger and Editor of The Style Scribe.
I started following Merritt after my husband and I found out we would be moving to Dallas. Of course, my logical first step in figuring out where the fun places to go, live, and eat was googling “Dallas bloggers” and up popped Merritt’s website!
If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to be a full-time blogger, this is an episode you won’t want to miss. We chat about how she got started, advice she’d give to people who want to make money blogging, what she thinks people misconceive about blogging as a job, how exactly she makes an income from blogging and a whole lot more!
Merritt Beck | Lifestyle & Fashion Blogger, Editor of The Style Scribe
- How Merritt got started as a fashion blogger.
- What she thinks people misconceive about full-time bloggers.
- One thing she struggles with on being a blogger.
- Advice she would give to people who are just starting out in the blogging industry.
- How exactly she makes money from blogging.
- Whether or not she thinks blogging will be a lucrative career in the next 5, 10, & 15 years.
- Her opinions on the Instagram algorithm, loop giveaways, and fake followers.
Merritt Beck is the founder and editor of The Style Scribe, a lifestyle and fashion blog that celebrates style, travel, beauty and life’s other little luxuries. Since January 2011, The Style Scribe has been a daily destination for women looking for elevated style suggestions, luxury travel tips and the best of what’s new in beauty, fitness and home.
Key takeaways from this episode:
“At that time, there weren’t easy ways to make money.” – Merritt BeckWhen I started using rewardStyle, I saw sales right away. -@merrittbeck Click To Tweet
Over time, I started making more and more and it really opened my eyes to the possibility of “oh my gosh, I can totally do this for a living.” – Merritt BeckI kept track of what I was making each month, if I was getting partnerships, and I probably left my full-time job a little sooner than I should have. -@merrittbeck Click To Tweet
“I am definitely a morning person.” Merritt BeckOne of my favorite parts about what I do is the way I'm able to connect with people. - @merrittbeck Click To Tweet
“I do find that the bloggers that are the most engaged with their readers, the ones that respond, or that really take an interest in what readers have to say build the most loyal following.” – Merritt BeckNow that I am more comfortable delegating, it's easier for me to focus on things that actually matter to me. - @merrittbeck Click To Tweet
“It’s actually a lot of work and I would say that’s one of the biggest misconceptions about what we do.” – Merritt BeckThe problem today is that because it's so saturated, there aren't many unique voices anymore. - @merrittbeck Click To Tweet
“You have to create your own schedule if you work at home.” – Merritt Beck
Links to resources:
- BBG Workouts
- Merritt’s Butternut Squash Noodles w/Goat Cheese & Sage Recipe
- Fashion Jackson blog
How to subscribe, review, and help the show
Like the show? There are several ways you can help!
- Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify, or Google Play
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. The ratings and reviews help for two reasons: 1) Most importantly, I get to know you, the listener, and what content you enjoy the most. 2) The more reviews the podcast has, the better chance it has at getting in front of new listeners.
- Follow on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram
If you’re diggin’ the podcast, I’d love for you to use the #DITLpodcast hashtag to connect with other listeners and let us know what a day in your life is really like!
Want more? Sign up for the email newsletter!
Be the first to know when there is a new episode out and get the inside scoop on all of the guests.
Also, join the Facebook group to interact with guests and other listeners!
Thanks so much for tuning in. See ya next week!
Day in the Life podcast newsletter
Stay up-to-date on the Day in the Life podcast, plus access the free Facebook group!