I have to admit, talking with Andrew was one of the most fun conversations I’ve been able to record thus far. He was just so easy to talk to, it felt like we had been longtime friends.
Anyways, Andrew shares a lot of the juicy scoop on what it was really like to work for one of the biggest Hollywood agencies in the world, William Morris Endeavor (WME).
If you are familiar with the popular show Entourage, Andrew was basically like a real-life Lloyd (Ari Gold’s assistant). As a super fan of that show, you can imagine my excitement at getting the inside scoop.
Andrew shares the good and the bad of working in entertainment and what he’s up to these days. Hope you enjoy!
Andrew Solomon – Hollywood Entertainment Assistant
In today’s show, you’ll learn:
- How he decided to quit law and go into the entertainment industry
- The hardest thing and best thing about working in the industry
- What it’s REALLY like to work in the infamous mail room and how he got into the mail room
- The most bizarre task he had to do while working as an entertainment assistant
- How accurate his life was to the popular television show Entourage
- If talent agents in Hollywood are really like Ari Gold from Entourage
- His advice for people who want to break into the entertainment industry
- What it’s really like to work at William Morris Endeavor (WME)
- What “The Black List” is and why it’s important
Andrew Solomon graduated from the University of Texas law school in 2011 after accepting a job at the largest law firm in Austin, Texas. After three years of practicing, he left his lucrative position, his family, and his friends to pursue his dream of becoming a film producer. At the age of 28, he started in the mailroom at William Morris Endeavor, the largest talent agency in Los Angeles. He now works at Ridley Scott’s production company, Scott Free, and is much closer to the dream he originally chased.
Key takeaways from this episodeWe always try to come up with more glamorous titles than assistant to describe ourselves - Andrew… Click To Tweet
“I could get fired at any moment at the agency.” – Andrew SolomonI went from making a salary at a law firm to making $10 an hour. - Andrew Solomon Click To Tweet
“That’s the thing about this industry is you get to watch tv and not feel guilty about it because it’s work.” – Andrew SolomonYour bosses priorities are your priorities. - Andrew Solomon Click To Tweet
Links to resources
- The Mailroom: Hollywood History from the Bottom Up
- Blush Online Life Coaching
- The Blacklist Scripts
- Scent of a Woman
- Follow Andrew on Instagram
How to subscribe, review, and help the show
- Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher, Google Play
- Leave an honest review on iTunes. The ratings and reviews help for two reasons: 1) Most importantly, I get to know you, the listener, and what content you enjoy the most. 2) The more reviews the podcast has, the better chance it has at getting in front of new listeners.
- Follow on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram
- Download the graphics below to save and share on social!
If you’re diggin’ the podcast, I’d love for you to use the #DITLpodcast hashtag to connect with other listeners and let us know what a day in your life is really like!
Thanks so much for tuning in. See ya next week!
Want more? Sign up for the email newsletter!
Be the first to know when there is a new episode out and get the inside scoop on all of the guests.
Also, join the Facebook group to interact with guests and other listeners!
Day in the Life podcast newsletter
Stay up-to-date on the Day in the Life podcast, plus access the free Facebook group!